Professional Development Committee
- Agenda & Minutes
- Additional Funding Sources
- Mandatory FLEX
- Variable FLEX
The Professional Development Committee
- The Spring 2018 FLEX Day Schedule has been released (click the link above or in the "Mandatory FLEX" sidebar.)
- The Spring 2018 FLEX Day is scheduled from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Tuesday, April 3. Classes that meet before 4:00 PM will be cancelled; however, classes meeting after 4:00 PM will still meet that day as regularly scheduled. Please communicate this information to your students.
- To find out more information about the Spring 2018 FLEX day and your attendance requirements, click here.
The Professional Development Committee is charged in an advisory capacity to address the professional and personal growth needs of the campus faculty, staff, and administration in accordance with the California Education Code as well as to foster the professional development goals set forth in the CLPCCD District Educational Master Planand the Las Positas College Mission Statement & Institutional Strategic Goals.
- In 2014, AB 2558 was placed into effect which effectively established the Community College Professional
Development Program and eliminated the Community College Faculty and Staff Development
- This assembly bill requires that each campus has a Professional Development Advisory
Committee (composed of faculty, staff, and administrators), completes an annual human
development resources plan, and submits a report of the actual expenses incurred through
faculty & staff development each year.
- Professional Development Funding is to be disbursed according to the rules and regulations
of the board of governors. In order to receive continued funding for Professional
Development on campus, documentation must be maintained concerning employees' participation
in Professional Development activities in accordance with their contractually obligated
- Another intersting item from 2014 is the creation of the new ACCJC Accreditation Standard III.A.14 which calls for the following:
"The institution plans for and provides all personnel with appropriate opportunities for continued professional development, consistent with the institutional mission and based on evolving pedagogy, technology, and learning needs. The institution systematically evaluates professional development programs and uses the results of these evaluations as the basis for improvement."
- Section 87153 of California Education Code specifies the type of Professional Development activities
that may be funded by the Community College Professional Development Program. They
are as follows:
- Improvement of teaching.
- Maintenance of current academic and technical knowledge and skills.
- In-service training for vocational education and employment preparation.
- Retraining to meet changing institutional needs.
- Intersegmental exchange programs.
- Development of innovations in instructional and adminstrative techniques and program effectiveness.
- Computer and technological proficiency programs.
- Courses and training implementing affirmative action and upward mobility.
- Other activities determined to be related to educational and professional development
pursuant to criteria established by the Board of Governors of the California Community
Colleges, including, but not necessarily limited to, programs designed to develop
Meetings are held during the second Monday of each month from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in the Teaching and Learning Center (Room 2410).
Charge of Committee
Develop policies and processes for awarding of staff development funds; review and
make recommendations for funding of staff proposals; plan and promote staff development
President, College Council
- Chair: Program Director
- 1 Administrator
- 5 Faculty, one from each division
- 1 Part-time Faculty
- 4 Classified, including Teaching and Learning Center
- Academic Senate
- Classified Senate
2 years. One-half replaced each year. First year selected by lottery.
This is the membership list, effective for the 2017-2018 Academic Year:
|Howard Blumenfeld||Mathematics Faculty (Coordinator) (MSEPS)|
|David Powers||Mathematics Faculty (MSEPS)|
|Elena Cole||English Faculty (A&H)|
|Ernie Jones||Psychology Faculty (CATSS)|
|Gina Webster||Business Faculty (BHAWK)|
|Gabriela Discua||Counseling Faculty (Student Services)|
|Tim Druley||Webmaster (Classified)|
|Bill Eddy||Athletics (Classified)|
|Carolyn Scott||Executive Assistant (Classified)|
|Ana Del Aguila||ECD (Classified)|
|The Professional Development Committee currently reports out to the President & College Council. The official membership consists of a minimum of one chair (or two co-chairs), one administrator, five faculty (one from each division), one part-time faculty member, and four classified (including the TLC). Appointments are made by a combination of the Academic Senate, Administration, and the Classified Senate. Members serve two year terms with one-half of the membership replaced each year. The first year of the Professional Development Committee is selected by lottery.|